Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chard Tacos

I recieved chard in my bag of vegetables from my CSA this week.  I found this recipe and it was delicious.  I will definitely be making it again.  It's so easy, and as you can see from the directions you can play around with it and make it your own.  It's not important to use exact amounts. 

1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 large onion diced or sliced (however you prefer)
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced (you can put more if you want a stronger garlic flavor)
1/2 cup chicken broth (or veggie broth if you are vegetarian)
1 bunch swiss chard, tough stems removed leaves cut crosswise into 1-1/2inch slices
corn tortillas (I prefer white corn tortillas)
cheese, salsa, ranch (whatever taco toppings you like)
  1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Stir in the onion and cook until the onion is soft and golden brown (6-10 minutes depending on the size of your onion pieces).
  2. Add the garlic, chard and broth.  Cover and reduce heat to low.  Simmer until chard is almost tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. Remove lid and increase heat to medium.  Stir until the liquid evaporates, about another 5 minutes.
  4. Warm the tortillas in another skillet until they are warm.  I like the small tortillas.  Fill with chard and taco toppings.

No comments: