Friday, February 11, 2011

Veggie Cheese Soup


We made this for dinner last night and it was to die for! I thought I would have leftovers, but the pot was licked clean. I found the original recipe in the Nelson family cookbook (I am trying a lot of recipes out of that book this week) and adapted it to our family's taste buds. I can't wait to make some more. The best part is it tastes like a rich, creamy soup but it was made with skim milk.
3 cups potatoes, diced
1 cup onions, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1/4 cup butter
2 (16-oz) cans chicken broth
2 teaspoons chicken bouillion
2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup flour
3 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dry mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • Combine potatoes, onions, carrots, butter, broth and bouillion in large saucepan. Cook 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. I had the veggies boiling most of the time.
  • In another bowl mix flour and water until smooth. After veggies are tender, turn down heat and gradually add flour mixture; stirring constantly.
  • Add cheese, mustard and pepper. Simmer and stir until cheese is melted.
  • Serve with nice hot rolls.

No comments: