Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pretzel Salad

My brother Drew had lots of pretzels left over from his wedding reception. And when I mean lots, I mean we were sent home with a 6 pound bag of them. Needless to say, I think we need a little help eating them. At the same time I have challenged myself to not eat any treats in February until Valentine's Weekend. We invited some friends over for dinner on Sunday and this was my compromise dessert/treat for them. I made it the night before and it was light and yummy. I did find the recipe in the "soups and salad" section of the Nelson family cookbook. I altered the recipe a bit, so here's my version.

2 cups crushed pretzels
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup melted butter
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 medium container Cool-Whip
2 (3oz) packages raspberry jell-o
2 cup boiling water
1 (16oz) bag frozen strawberries

Crust: Preheat oven to 350. Combine pretzels, 3 tablespoons sugar, and butter. Press into a 9x13-inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool.

Filling: Mix cream cheese, sugar and cool-whip. Spread on top of cooled crust.

Top: Combine Jell-o, boiling water and frozen strawberries. Put on top of filling. Let set for at least 4-5 hours. I let mine set overnight.

No comments: