Thursday, April 29, 2010

Potato Casserole

This is another recipe adapted from the Nelson Family Food Fare cookbook. I wasn't really measuring when I made it, so these measurements are approximations. Just use what you have on hand. It is very adaptable and yummy. It's one of my new favorite side dishes. It is very similar to funeral potatoes. I've been looking for a recipe that tastes like that but doesn't call for frozen hashbrowns.

1/4 cup butter
4-6 medium potatoes (I used 4 medium large potatoes)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup light sour cream
4 oz cream cheese (1/2 a package)
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
crushed corn flakes
3 Tablespoons melted butter

  1. Bake potatoes. Cool and grate. (I baked my potatoes in the morning and let them cool all day until I shredded them before making this dish. You could bake them the day before if you wanted.)
  2. Melt 1/4 cup butter and add the soup. Heat the soup and then add sour cream, cream cheese, and shredded cheese.
  3. Stir in potatoes.
  4. Place in greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Mix cornflakes with melted butter and sprinkle over casserole.
  5. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

No comments: