Monday, January 28, 2008

Expanding Your Book Collection - On a Tight Budget

I collect three things - postcards from the places I visit, bookmarks, and books. Luckily postcards and bookmarks are very inexpensive. Unfortunately, books can be expensive. Here are some ways I have been able to add to my book collection without subtracting much from my bank account.

1. Go to library sales: Many libraries have special sales once or twice a year where you can get used books for low prices. This past weekend Ricky and I went to our library's sale and were able to get all the items seen below for a grand total of $5. We were able to pick up some nice board books for the boys, a few holiday books for them, two children's videos, and six novels for Ricky and I. Just ask your librarian if your library has any sales. In addition, sometimes local elementary schools have used book sales. Just watch the newspapers or ask parents of elementary school students if their schools have used book sales.


2. Go to garage sales. Garage sales are great because people are usually trying to get rid of clutter they don't want anymore. You can barter with them and come away with some pretty cheap books. Last year I was able to get about 20 children's books for the boys for less than a dollar. Make sure you look through the books before you buy them. If you are buying children's books make sure all the flaps, pop-ups, etc are there. Also, make sure there aren't any big stains or missing pages. For adult books just flip through the book to see if it is in good condition.
3. Shop at amazon.com or half.com: If there is a specific book you are looking for these web sites are great places to look. You can type in the title of the book you want and it will bring up price for new and used copies. I usually look at regular book stores to see the going price of the book(s) I am interested in. That way when I shop online I know if I am getting a good deal or not. Also, half.com has a section titled "paperbacks for $.99 or less". I have found brand new popular books for less than a dollar here.
4. Take books your parents and/or friends are getting rid of: If your parents are cleaning out their house or you have friends that are moving - look through the books they are getting rid of and claim any you want to have.
5. Buy thrift editions of classics: If you go into most bookstores you can find classic books for $1-$5. I think they're called Dover Thrift edition or something like that. They are brand new books. You can get such authors as Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, and others.

No comments: